Ok, here we are. My first tutorial on Patterrific. I hope you understand everything and furthermore, that you can use it in your own designs! I want to start with a rather simple but extremely useful task: How to scale your patterns in Illustrator. Playing with this option can be very amazing and patterns you used to know can look completely different. Let’s start!
1. Draw a rectangle and fill it with a pattern of your choice.
2. Select the rectangle and go to Object > Transform > Scale.
3. By default the “Objects” check box is selected. Deselect it and select “Patterns” instead. By choosing this the scaling you define in the above boxes will not apply to the size of the object, but will stretch the pattern fill. Here I applied a scaling of 300%. See the result of the pattern size?
4. Now I applied a scaling of 30% which makes the pattern size smaller than the original.
5. The final result. Wasn’t that difficult, was it? But believe me, you’re going to have a lot of fun with this option and in the end, you can apply the perfect pattern size to your designs.