Today I want to show you how to paint with patterns in Photoshop CS3 (Update: Same procedure in later Photoshop versions). This is another tutorial for beginners.
1. Create a new file. In the Tools Panel choose the Pattern Stamp Tool that you find right under the Clone Stamp Tool.
2. Near the top of the screen are options for this tool. From this Options Bar select the pattern you like to paint with. You can click on the little arrow to choose another set of patterns.
3. In the Options Bar you can select Aligned. Check this to maintain the pattern’s continuity with your original start point even when you release the mouse button and then resume painting. Deselect Aligned if you want to restart the pattern each time you paint a new stroke. Here you can also define Mode, Opacity, Flow, and Impressionist to give your painting a softer look.
4. Keep the selection and right click on the canvas. You open the Brush presets where you can choose your favourite brush. Again you can click on the little arrow to choose another set of brushes.
5. That’s it! Now you can start painting with your brush. I quickly prepared three examples so that you can get a small idea of the possibilities.