1. Create a new document and add a new layer right above.
2. At the bottom of the Layers palette you find “Add a layer style”.
3. Choose “Pattern Overlay”
4. A new window opens showing the options for this layer style. In the center you find your patterns. Click on the arrow at the right to open your pattern palette.
5. Here you find the patterns that you defined in your pattern palette. Choose the pattern you want to fill the layer with.
6. For now let’s forget about the other options. When you click OK the window closes but you won’t see the fill at once. Choose the Paint Bucket Tool and click into the layer. By default the layer will be filled with a pattern size of 100%.
7. Double click the “Pattern Overlay” in the layers menu to open the options again. With the preview turned on you can scale down the pattern size and watch the result immediately. Just look at the pattern in the document, here it is scaled down to 50%.
8. You achieve best results with scales of 50%, 25%, 10% and below. Play around with other options like blend mode or opacity. In the end it’s all about learning by doing.
9. Here you see the final result. A scaled pattern can look completely different. Happy scaling!